So This Is The Plan....

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Alright...everyone who knows me, knows that I'm semi-nomadic. This can make keeping in touch difficult at times. Plus...sometimes I'd rather "sneak away" from the civilized world. :) A good friend had the wonderful idea of starting a blog...mostly meant for the people in my life that would like to keep some level of "tabs" on what I've been up to or just find out where in the country I currently am. And by checking in here, I'll know to get back to you...hence - keeping in touch! I'm also gonna talk about a bunch of hiker stuff and some foodie stuff, too - that might appeal to perfect strangers...so Welcome, whoever you are! Enjoy and leave me a note to say hello. :)

Friday, January 25, 2013

High Point Loop

     Well, doing what I can to get ready, but Mother Nature is doing nothing to help!  I went out for a short hike today with a relatively full pack, but only lasted about an hour.  NJ is in the middle of a record low week.  Today was 22 degrees, but with the wind chill, high humidity and snow flurries, it sure felt a lot colder.  But I sucked it up and braved the cold...more for Cork than for me.  He lives to hike!
     I decided to head over to Holmdel Park, as they have a bunch of short, connecting trails that I could pretty easily bail out of when it got too cold, but also some great incline/decline sections that really get you sweating, no matter what the temperature is.  I pulled out my little park map and started on the Cross Country Trail.  Well that turned out to be exactly what it is named (duh!) - a path for cross country runners - and as it stayed flat and never entered the woods, I got bored pretty quickly.  So I jumped onto the High Point Loop and that worked out perfectly.
     Winter hikes are great for dogs, because with virtually no one else there, I never have any problem letting Cork off leash.  Now I only do this because he is the BEST trail dog I've ever had and listens to a great variety of verbal commands almost without fail.  He's pretty awesome. :)  And it's SO much more enjoyable for both of us, as he can stop and sniff and then run to catch up - while I keep my steady pace and hands free in case of a fall.  I often think, with all of that weaving around and back-and-forth running how many miles he does for my every one!  He ALWAYS sleeps the whole drive home.
     Nothing else very exciting is going on.  I'm waiting, very impatiently, for my AWOL guide to come from Amazon.  It should be here Tuesday...and I'll have devoured it by Wednesday.  I actually first ordered the Official Trail Guide from the ATC website...but it never came.  When I checked my bank records, they showed I was never charged, so I guess something got screwed up with the order.  I was about to call them and re-order by phone, when I caught a White Blaze thread on the AWOL book.  After a little research, I decided to try that one instead as everyone seems to recommend it.  Once again...it would seem that things always happen for a reason!
     Oh and I've added a countdown timer to the blog.  Getting close!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment