So This Is The Plan....

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Alright...everyone who knows me, knows that I'm semi-nomadic. This can make keeping in touch difficult at times. Plus...sometimes I'd rather "sneak away" from the civilized world. :) A good friend had the wonderful idea of starting a blog...mostly meant for the people in my life that would like to keep some level of "tabs" on what I've been up to or just find out where in the country I currently am. And by checking in here, I'll know to get back to you...hence - keeping in touch! I'm also gonna talk about a bunch of hiker stuff and some foodie stuff, too - that might appeal to perfect strangers...so Welcome, whoever you are! Enjoy and leave me a note to say hello. :)

Thursday, January 31, 2013

AWOL!

     No...I'm not going Absent WithOut Leave.  But I am going crazy...over my new A.T. Trail Guide by David "AWOL" Miller, usually referred to as The AWOL Guide.  I received it via regular old mail delivery (a day earlier than quoted!) and promptly started highlighting.  This was really more for my enjoyment than for any actual planning purposes - I'm a dork like that.  You see, the guide - which I will seal in a ziplock and take with me - is full of useful and awesome info.  Every mile, from Georgia to Maine, is broken down and lists what you can expect to see along the way.  Shelters, campsites, water sources, inclines, declines, road crossings, stream crossings, great views and so-on.  But the most exciting part - how close you are to towns nearby and what they contain - so you can make an educated decision on stopping in or heading on down the trail.  I'm not even hungry or smelly yet and already I'm highlighting the All-You-Can-Eat Buffets and places with free showers!
     One of the main reasons I've always been drawn to this kind of hike, has been the availability of experiences and adventures, that aren't all in the woods.  I'm really looking forward to checking out a bunch of small towns that I would probably never go to otherwise.  But you never know whats gonna happen or where you're gonna be on any given day - and that freedom really appeals to me- so I don't want to plan more than a day or two out.  Therefore - all of this highlighting was fun but who knows where I'll stop and what I'll see? 
     One other thing the book has already done for me - make me doubt my decision to not bring a phone.  This is not a wilderness hike.  Many people around me will have a phone to use in an emergency situation.  How can I be so sure?  Because most people these days have nice, small phones with good internet access and a nice camera.  If my phone was like that I would take it too - but it's not - and none of those things mean enough to me to shell out that money right now.  Having said all of that...I may bring a phone anyway.  When getting into or near a town, it will save be MUCH time and energy, to be able to call ahead to hostels, etc. vs. walking/hitching to each one.  Some of these hostels will even come and pick you up at the trail if you're going to spend the night with them.  I've also heard that phones make life SO much easier, if you've found some buddies to hike with, but then want to do your own things while in town.  Meet back up later with a phone call or two. 
     Of course, it will also be much easier to place the occasional family/friend call.  I was gonna figure this out with phones at hostels/etc. - but having my own phone will speed it up.  And lets not forget the #1 reason for carrying a cell phone on the AT - shelter pizza delivery!  Actually possible in a few places! :)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment