So This Is The Plan....

My photo
Seattle, Washington, United States
Alright...everyone who knows me, knows that I'm semi-nomadic. This can make keeping in touch difficult at times. Plus...sometimes I'd rather "sneak away" from the civilized world. :) A good friend had the wonderful idea of starting a blog...mostly meant for the people in my life that would like to keep some level of "tabs" on what I've been up to or just find out where in the country I currently am. And by checking in here, I'll know to get back to you...hence - keeping in touch! I'm also gonna talk about a bunch of hiker stuff and some foodie stuff, too - that might appeal to perfect strangers...so Welcome, whoever you are! Enjoy and leave me a note to say hello. :)

Monday, January 21, 2013

Ramanessin Trail

     Just got back from a rather short but enjoyable hike.  I found the Ramanessin section of Holmdel Park, which is divided from the main park area by Roberts Road and seems to be much less used.  It's an undeveloped area consisting entirely of trails - double track, wrapping around old farming fields and occasionally becoming single track to cut through short stretches of woods and cross a few small brooks.  One side trail, aptly named "Homestead", runs by what is left of several old buildings.  From what I can guess they were a house, a barn, a small machine shed and a corn crib.  Pretty cool old site.  A little creepy seeing the old brass bed poking through the now-collapsed ceiling, though, probably standing in the bedroom right where it was left however many years ago. 
     In another spot, maybe a half mile or so from the homestead, I found another building - an old barn, but in much better shape than the first one.  All of the windows were boarded and the doors nailed shut, but when I found a small crack to peek through - I could see a hole on the floor inside with light shining through.  I pushed my way past the thorn bushes to the back of the building, and sure enough - it had been built on a hill and it was fairly easy to go under the barn here and pull myself up and through the hole.  It's pretty rare, especially in New Jersey it seems, to find abandoned buildings that TONS of other people have already found.  I have no delusions that I alone had figured out this "secret" entrance, but inside was trash and graffiti free.  I only stayed for a minute, but it was a neat find.
     Back to the hike itself...today was my first in awhile with a pack.  I'm not too worried about being in "trail shape" before I leave - that'll happen as it happens, on the trail - but I would like to get in as many miles as I can before hand with some weight on my back, mostly to strengthen my ankles.  I'm planning on starting the hike in my well-broken in mid-weight boots, but when I wear through those I'll buy trail runners and finish in them.  So I'm doing some hiking now in trail runners and practicing mindful foot placement.  It's so easy to "zone-out" and step on something that will break an ankle! 
     So, like I said, I kept it short today.  I was actually feeling great and would have gone much longer, if not for the 30 degree temp and wind.  I know you people training in Minnesota call that a beautiful day - but I was cold!  My knees were bothering me a bit too, but like I said I haven't carried much weight lately, and I hope that they too will get used to it.
     Cork had a blast, as always.  I will miss him most of all while on the AT but I know he'll have a great summer with my Uncle, who loves him very much.  We met only one other person while out, a nice gentleman named Barry and his beautiful golden retriever, Daisy.  We talked for probably 15 minutes or so and then were both so frozen we had to go our separate ways.  Trail people...even on day hikes in NJ  - can always find things and places in common.  And Cork spent the time professing his love to the beautiful blonde - and trying (unsuccessfully) to become the father to her children.  For those that don't know, he is a 12lb. rat terrier/chihuahua mix.  He's usually pretty submissive and calm, but she WAS pretty.....
     One last note - my sister Kelly, who lives in Colorado, told me she's going to try and meet me for a one week section somewhere along the way.  I'm so excited!  I'm really looking forward to doing this thing alone...but I welcome any friend who'd like to join me for a stretch.  It will break things up very nicely and Kelly is awesome to hike with!  She is also the one that I've entrusted to go through my storage unit in Colorado and send me everything that I might need.  Hopefully we'll get that done soon, as most of my gear is still there and I'd like to have it here for training.  I might also talk her into a mail drop or two, although I plan on going mostly unsupported.  It would just be nice to get a package from home. :)
     Anyway...enough for today.  As the days creep by, closer and closer to April 1st, I get more and more excited.  Georgia here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment